Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lessons my mother taught me....

Yes, much to my teenage dismay, my mother did actually know somethings she was talking about. As I get older, I have discovered that you do actually TURN INTO YOUR MOTHER. It's true....it happens. And it is scary!


I remember when I was 4, maybe 5, and I begged my poor mother relentlessly to get my ears pierced. She finally consented...and off we went to get them pierced. I don't remember the actual piercing, but I do remember that evening. My ears were on FIRE, or so I thought. It was horrible.....and I begged my poor mother relentlessly to take those earrings out. I must have been really good at the relentless begging because she finally consented. But there was a catch. She would take them out, but she was not piercing them again. Whatever...I didn't care - get them out. So she took them out and I went to bed. The next day my lovely 4 year old self wanted pierced ears again. My poor mother was like 'Hell no.......we are not doing that again'. It was many many years later when I was much older that she relented and pierced my ears again. That time it stuck.


So when I had my lovely daughter I though about the whole ear piercing debacle of my youth. I decided then and there that I had learned a lesson and would not repeat my mother's mistake. RyRy was not getting anything pierced until she could take care of it herself. She has begged my poor self relentlessly over the years to get her ears pierced. Shannon and I got together and pulled a number out of our glutes (LOL Mere) and decided we would tell her she could get them pierced at 8. I have discovered over the years that my child can really beg relentlessly and make me crazy.


So finally it came....she turned 8 this year. So we waited for her to be ready, and come to us about going to get the ears pierced. Finally she really seemed ready to get it done. We took her to get them pierced......

All I am saying is .....thanks mom! I may have driven you crazy....but at least I learned my lesson!

No comments: